Monday 18 September 2023

Fighting Fake News with REAL, 18/9/23, Every Picture Tells a Story, Good Onya Adelaide despite Peter Dutton, 5x ex-LNP Indigenous spokesmen Speak Up, Sorry isn't good enough, Mundine throws the "dead moggie" and applauds YES,

 

 

May be an image of crowd and text  

Adelaide said YES Despite Peter Dutton's tactics, 

Something doesn’t add up: we are seeing massive turnouts for Yes23 rallies around the country (and beyond!) today. This doesn’t equate with the opinion polls at all which tell me that the exact opposite should be happening. What am I missing? ( Conroy)

 May be an image of textMay be a doodle of text that says 'FOUND SOME MORE REASONS 10 VOTE NO!'May be an image of textMay be pop art of 4 people and textMay be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Hugh Riminton: "Indigenous journalist Bridget Brennan, on Jacinta Price's view that colonisation did not have lasting negative effects Aboriginal people: "Go and tell people like me who had parents who died 20 years earlier than they should have." #insiders" @hughriminton on hN'May be an image of 5 people and text that says 'Five former Liberal Party Indigenous Affairs spokesmen: Ian Viner, Fred Chaney, Peter Baume Ken Wyatt and Julian Leeser support the Voice to Parliament. Their positions have received incredibly minimal media coverage.'May be an image of text

The Dead Cat Has Been Dropped
Ronni Salt warns:
“This is pure Flood-The-Zone-With-Sh*t tactics from the #VoteNo campaign
About twice a week, say something outrageous to grab the news cycle
It doesn't matter if it isn't based in any facts at all, or important - just say it
Stand back and watch the media grab it, and repeat.”

A woman wearing a light blue shirt stands smiling on a balcony.

I’ve said “Sorry”. But being white, raised, socialized, and immersed in Australian culture I found myself on the racist spectrum, a continuum call it what you like I’m part unintentionally racist. I’ve ignorantly absorbed some of the cultural myths that have given rise to and supported institutionalized patterns of racist behavior and taken them on board through ignorance and disregard, have accepted them as normal. I need to do battle with the errors in my social psychology and just saying sorry isn’t good enough and needs to be joined with a resounding YES for change in the way this nation does things. Change that says  “I’ve listened and I’ve heard you” and “You’re right and my doing it is the beginning of a better Australia”

I spent a short time in Kunanarra my motel room was directly in front of the Primary school’s basketball courts. It was recess and what I witnessed was young kids interacting seemingly without any racial division. In my minds eye the kids were playing without prejudice the scene seemed colorless and it stood out. By the time I had driven about the town I had witnessed the harsh reality of two cities whose biggest buildings were occupied by major government Institutions. the Police Station, the Welfare Dept, and the supermarket a complete shadow cast over what I’d always been told was the “Lucky Country”.

I was gobsmacked when I overheard a retailer ring the police requesting they remove the “flower pots” from his very large shaded verandah. Those “pots” were some half-dozed aged indigenous Aussies looking for the cover,for shade from the intense heat of the Kimberly sun. On the fringe of Kunnarra, I saw the worst communal poverty I’d ever seen in Australia totally black. It spoke to the division that those young children I saw would come to expect as normal as time passed and inevitably be blamed on them as a “lifestyle choice” “the poverty of their culture” by a Racist Australia still saying ” Vote No today after 240 years of shame” simply because that’s the way history told us it’s always been. Yes is a first step my  Australia needs to take to accept a Universal Bill of Human Rights sorely lacking in this country and with an LNP who wants to rid us of even the United Nations Australian Human Rights Commission and the Racial Discrimination Act. (Old Dog Thought ) Smothered indigenous voices - Pearls and Irritations

Racism comes in as many forms as there are people to both carry it out, whether knowingly or not, and to experience it.

I’m no longer five years old and subject to the blows that were doled out then. So, how is it that I, a middle-aged woman with career success living a life far more secure than that of many, can be feeling so reduced to nothingness when I have not been targeted as others have?

My colleague Stan Grant, the formidable Professor Marcia Langton, and of course, the great Adam Goodes, just to name a few whose stories we’ve heard.

Source: We don’t know what October 14 will bring — but for many the Voice debate has already stirred up a hidden war – ABC News

 



No comments: